Paraprofessional Chapter 14 Hours
Chapter 14 of the Pennsylvania School Code, entitled “Special Education Services and Programs,” requires all Instructional Paraprofessionals (also known as Instructional Aides/Assistants) and Personal Care Assistants to meet certain criteria in order to have a “qualified” status. Specific to the continuing education, the code states that Instructional Paraprofessionals and Personal Care Assistants shall provide evidence of 20 hours of staff development related to their assignment. Hours must be accrued between July 1 and June 30 of each school year. Centennial School District is extending this to include Job Coaches. Hours are prorated at 2 hours per month to accommodate new employees who begin later than September 1.
In order to fulfill this requirement, IA/PCA/Job Coach will:
- Have workshop, course, training approved by the Director of Special Education
- Complete a workshop, course, training and enter on the Chapter 14 Twenty Hour Requirement Log
- Have presenter sign, or attach a certificate of completion
- Submit completed Chapter 14 Twenty Hour Requirement Log as soon as all 20 hours are completed
- Hours must be completed by June 30th and the log submitted no later than July 5th of each year.
- If the hours are not completed between July 1st and June 30th, employees may be subject to discipline, up to and including dismissal.